The Girl From Ipanema
"Hello..." Was the voice on the other end.
Sweet, innocent, with nary a hint of the intention behind her unexpected social call.
"Hey," I responded. "I'm in a meeting."
"What?" she asked, unsure of what she had heard. "You're eating?"
I repeated myself three times before she finally caught on to what I was actually saying.
We both laughed. She laughed at my inability to form proper sentences, I laughed at her apparent hearing disability.
That's why I find her to be so intoxicating. She's like Blue Cheese dressing on your Nasi Lemak. So very wrong, yet so very exciting..a moving contradiction, so to speak.
I have tried to shake her off like a bad case of the flu, yet I can't help but be drawn to her everytime she calls. She's cast a spell on me. And a pretty strong case of magic to boot.
Last week when I was down with my vicarious and largely temperamental viral infection, I told the girl from Ipanema that I had to cancel breakfast. She thought I was playing a prank, and that I did that just so that I could avoid seeing her.
Great. At least she has a macabre sense of humour to go along with her inability to tune in to human vocal expressions.
My problem with the girl from Ipanema is that, I can't or won't take her off my mind. I like having her around whenever I least expect her to. Like a hurricane, you don't know when she's coming but she'll definately take the house away with her as she goes. Metaphorically speaking of course.
She's so very wrong for me and as a friend told me today;
"Two wrongs, don't make a right, Eddie."
Yeah, but why does something so wrong feel so right? Probably cause you know it is wrong.
Lust is wrong. Gambling is wrong. The OSIM chair that costs 33 grand is so very wrong.
Yet, you can't help but find some 'sinful' connection that inadvertantly pulls you in. They even invented a word for this.
Gravitas.
My girl from Ipanema has gravitas in boatloads, and that's long before her magic kicks in.
"I'm eating chicken." I said.
"What? You're in the kitchen?" was her reply.
You're so very special in a way that's just so wrong it's got to be right.
:)
Comments