Tell me a story, morning glory.

As the year draws to another magnificent close and the spirit of 'giving' looms ever so nearly, I can't help but sit back and wonder how- if i was given a chance, I would've done things differently in retrospect. Honestly, I wouldn't change a single thing.

In the span of a year i have..

Changed. That much i'm sure. I've rekindled friends of old, reminisced over old tales of woe and joy and made many new ones along the way. I've looked back at old videos and laughed just as hard as i did back then. We sure had our fun then; and we're still having them now.

Tonight i've laughed harder than i've ever had this whole month - about something as trivial as an overgrowned, weedy moustache. I bellowed and hee-hawed for a whole 2 minutes. My chest physically hurt, and my tummy was doing a trapeze act whilst I was cramping up. It was, as a friend called it - absolutely Mundrum.

It might not be the super group of old, but it was still just as ebulliant. We've all grown up boys and girls. I've lost my 'jambang' (which i had for a whole month in 2002..what was i thinking.) my boyish and dreamy outlook on life and relationships and gained a lot of new life experiences and memories.

They say that older generations were built much tougher. Unfortunately and vehemently so, I must say that I, concur. When I was in Singapore, we had this tiny, arrogant little errant bat which, despite our extremely valiant effort(s) at dismissing it out the window, decided that it had much bigger balls than all of us combined. For every inch we crawled forward it did absolutely fuck all. There were at least 8 people in that apartment alone, and none of us had the courage to physically force it out of the room. I was one of the eight.

It took agent "double-oh-seventy" (my friend's grandmom) to shoo that dastardly bat out. She was amazing..it's like watching ballet, only with broom sticks and some kain buruks stuck at the tip for good measure. To top it all off, she looked like she enjoyed every single minute of it too. I on the other hand, was just finding crevices to hide myself into. A friend of mine, who also happens to be very 'fond' of bats, was just as 'ecstatic'. She hid under the couch, while I..umm..sat on it. But at least (according to her) she had a valid excuse.

"Hey, I'm a girl. What's your excuse?"

I honestly didn't know what to say. Lol. I guess we're just not built in the same way our grandparents were.

"Hello, I'm not Batman okay. Tigers I can fight laa.." Was my pithy response. She was NOT impressed. Sorry babes, next time I don my batsuit we go cari-cari bats okay?

I have surmised then, that older people are made from Perwaja Steel (pun intended). If bravery was a commodity, they'd be billionaires. We've become so detached from reality and so attached to 'city-life' that we've forgotten how to handle minute things like 'chasing bats, rats and cats' out of our houses. How many of you actually know how to 'panjat pokok' anyways? I was told that a caddy was chased by a warthog recently, and because he knew just as much about scaling a tree vertically as he did planting one, he ended up on top of a buggy, whilst that warthog pounded on the hapless little vehicle repeatedly.

So people, learn from his mistake. The next time you see a warthog..DRIVE that buggy laaa. No Mundrum lah lu beb. Hoho.

Having a year's experience under my belt doesn't make me a better person per se. It just makes me a year older, with a year's worth of stories to bore my grandchildren with. I'm sure they'd love to hear how my friend wanted to 'burn someone's Moustache', or how my friend got 'stuck in between my gate'. By then I'd be the one who's 'built tougher'. They'd look up to me with childish abandon, with gaped mouthes and sleepy eyes; angry at their parents for being forced to listen to my 'grandfadder' stories. At least by then i'll be able to smirk and say,

"Huh. Kids these days. Apa tahu?"

:)









Comments

Anonymous said…
hahahahah mandrem cun cun.. i like it... yeahhhhhh

Popular posts from this blog

You know you live in 2006 when...

Monday Blues. :(

The Truth About Boys.