The Pianist

A good pianist moves your very soul. If you're in a jazz bar or a hotel lobby, Just sit a while and listen to him caress the keys, depressing every note with the smallest and softest touch of his hands, passing through his fingers leaving only the gentle, humming tune of the keys in his wake.

I myself am no stranger to music. I would hope to believe that I do have some musical rhythm in me; even if it is in the smallest sense. I play the guitar extensively... yet it brings me a different kind of joy, its an instrument where i can break the ice at parties or get strangers to sing along to timeless tunes..over and over again.

But it's not the same as listening to someone play the piano from his or her heart. The piano, much like the sax is an instrument which can be coloured by the contours of the player's emotion. Sad, lonely...immensely joyous...they're all there if you really listen. It's really quite beautiful.

As I lay on my bed, my throat still sore and my lips still puffed up...the slow, rhythmic tapestry of the pianist playing over and over again on my stereo is floating me away. It's bringing me to a place where i'm healthy again, and my mind is free to dream again and my heart as light as the feather that floats needlessly around me.

Being really sick, has made me realise one thing. Your true friends are the ones who slag off to see you (through rain or shine) when you can barely open your eyes, and spend every boring moment playing some stupid board game, or trying their very best to stay awake during a late night poker game. They make you laugh and smile when you're too sad to do it by yourself. They tell you to be strong when every muscle in your body has failed you.

They don't ask the questions of, "Oh do you need anything?" or "You really sick or not?",

They don't need to. They were there with me. Making me smile, and keeping me sane. I wasn't able to talk much last night due to the immense pain in my throat, but through persuasion, lame jokes and hearty laughs...I talked again, without me realising it.

When they left, one of them turned around and asked me,

"So, I take it you can talk now?"

I said yeah, apparently so.

"Good," He cocked his head up and smiled. "Then we've done what we came here to do."

Like the pianist, the tapistry of friendship is just as transparent, something everyone can see and touch..yet only the lucky few ever get to appreciate it whilst they still can.

I hope in this new year, I will learn to appreciate every single one of them just that little bit more.

Here's to the Pianist in us all.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Get well soon eddie =)
And I loveeee poker now,thanks to zoul.haha ;)
Eddie said…
hahaha..told u. now when's the next time we'll be poker-ing?

can't believe u had that FULL HOUSE! U really held up Matiin. :P

Popular posts from this blog

You know you live in 2006 when...

Monday Blues. :(

The Truth About Boys.