Just Don't Wait Too Long
It wasn't till 6 in the morning did I get to close my eyes and drift off to sleep. It's funny how the mind keeps telling the body that it's still fresh even though every bone in your body is aching for a well deserved break. I just couldn't stop thinking.
I spent half the night listening to an advice given by a stranger from a foreign land. My mind was reeling and bouncing off my fears, tribulations and apprehensions. I kept asking the wrong questions, yet his answers were firm and spot on. Imagine shooting blindly at the sky and still getting some parakeets killed in the process. That's exactly what I went through last night.
I didn't even know I needed his advice, but as the minutes rolled into hours and his role as an advisory adult slowly slithered away into a more calming, relaxed conversationalist, we carelessly folded up our sleeves and started to crack jokes on how stupid we all are when we think with our minds instead of our hearts.
"You think too far ahead Eddie." he said.
He said I should just do what my heart tells me to. Fuck the consequences. Sometimes inaction causes more harm than putting your fist through glass.
"In London, a boyfriend means fuck all." he says as he takes a sip of water.
Like that's such a good thing, I thought to myself. If she's willing to jump boats whenever it fancied her, what makes her any less likely that she's not going to do that to me?
"It's a possibility."
My heart sunk a notch.
But, according to him, that depends so much more on the situation rather than the person. He recited me a tale on how a married couple got divorced because the wife had cheated on her husband, and consequently married that lover of hers later on. Thirty years later, they're still happily married.
It really does depend on the situation. Marriage is a situation. Sometimes people get married for the wrong reasons and only get it right when they divorce on another. Relationships are no different.
People usually end up dating for long periods of time not because they're still insanely in love with one another. Sometimes they just hang on to one another simply because they know of no other way to be individuals again. That is the worst mistake anyone could ever make.
"So, what's your solution then?" I asked him.
"Just do it. The answer isn't important. The first step is." he replied as he opened the front door for me.
"So how do I know when the first step is?" my voice coarse and shaky due to some sleep depravation.
He just smiled and told me that only I can answer that question. As I got into the elevator, he turned to me and said,
"Just don't wait too long."
I spent half the night listening to an advice given by a stranger from a foreign land. My mind was reeling and bouncing off my fears, tribulations and apprehensions. I kept asking the wrong questions, yet his answers were firm and spot on. Imagine shooting blindly at the sky and still getting some parakeets killed in the process. That's exactly what I went through last night.
I didn't even know I needed his advice, but as the minutes rolled into hours and his role as an advisory adult slowly slithered away into a more calming, relaxed conversationalist, we carelessly folded up our sleeves and started to crack jokes on how stupid we all are when we think with our minds instead of our hearts.
"You think too far ahead Eddie." he said.
He said I should just do what my heart tells me to. Fuck the consequences. Sometimes inaction causes more harm than putting your fist through glass.
"In London, a boyfriend means fuck all." he says as he takes a sip of water.
Like that's such a good thing, I thought to myself. If she's willing to jump boats whenever it fancied her, what makes her any less likely that she's not going to do that to me?
"It's a possibility."
My heart sunk a notch.
But, according to him, that depends so much more on the situation rather than the person. He recited me a tale on how a married couple got divorced because the wife had cheated on her husband, and consequently married that lover of hers later on. Thirty years later, they're still happily married.
It really does depend on the situation. Marriage is a situation. Sometimes people get married for the wrong reasons and only get it right when they divorce on another. Relationships are no different.
People usually end up dating for long periods of time not because they're still insanely in love with one another. Sometimes they just hang on to one another simply because they know of no other way to be individuals again. That is the worst mistake anyone could ever make.
"So, what's your solution then?" I asked him.
"Just do it. The answer isn't important. The first step is." he replied as he opened the front door for me.
"So how do I know when the first step is?" my voice coarse and shaky due to some sleep depravation.
He just smiled and told me that only I can answer that question. As I got into the elevator, he turned to me and said,
"Just don't wait too long."
Comments