Musicality
I believe that music plays an integral role in the building of memories.
I'm sure you've all had events in your life which can be accurately described with a simple tune from a band you used to love. A simple hum from a friend is enough to excite the cells in your brain to a flashback you never knew you had in your head.
People usually relate songs to a current or lost loved one.
"Yeah, this song was playing when we had our first dance or first kiss or first whatever..."
We've all been there and done that many, many times over. But music is so much more than romantic moments. Honest.
Take for instance my current obssession with Alanis' re-released album, Jagged Little Pill (Acoustic). Now the original Jagged Little Pill is one of my all time great albums. You know the one with ALL the good songs in it? How many albums have you bought lately that you could honestly say you loved every single track on it?
Not much right? Yep. Same here. I've only enjoyed a handful of albums which had one good track after another. Craig David: Born To Do It, Duncan Sheik's premiere album, Alanis' Jagged Little Pill, Metallica's Black Album...oh and Avril's first album.
So to be given a revised version of Alanis' Jagged was an awesome experience. She re did all the songs from the first track to the last. "Ironic" was redone with a twist at the end, when she changed one of the lines. It was hilarious.
Listening to Jagged, I went back to a time when I saw her live in concert many many moons ago. I was 14 and it was my first concert that my parents had allowed me to go on my own. Imagine the delirium!! I had my first sense of utter freedom.
Unfortunately, when i was at her concert, i had only heard "Ironic" once before, and knew none of her other songs. My friends were all singing along to all her other tunes, and i hummed along with nothing but rubbish coming out of my mouth. Irregardless,I had a fantastic time watching her perform. On the way out I snatched one of her autographed albums and listened to the whole CD on the way home.
Throughout the years, Alanis' musical genius started to fade away. Her music became tiresome, dark and moody. I decided that, while she had the talent to become a musical icon, she didn't have the zest any longer.
That was until she did Jagged Little Pill all over again.
I have so many memories related to Jagged Little Pill. It was an album i used to wake me up in the morning, to hype me up before i had to go on a date or to bring my spirits back up whenever i was down.
Maybe you have your own albums or songs which has a special place in your heart or iTunes. If you do, do yourself a favour...listen to it all over again. You will be pleasantly surprised.
I'll end this blog with a verse from Alanis' revised album, if you guys have the time, give it a listen. It really is that good.
"You are the bearer of unconditional things. You held your breath and the door for me. Thanks for your...patience."
I'm sure you've all had events in your life which can be accurately described with a simple tune from a band you used to love. A simple hum from a friend is enough to excite the cells in your brain to a flashback you never knew you had in your head.
People usually relate songs to a current or lost loved one.
"Yeah, this song was playing when we had our first dance or first kiss or first whatever..."
We've all been there and done that many, many times over. But music is so much more than romantic moments. Honest.
Take for instance my current obssession with Alanis' re-released album, Jagged Little Pill (Acoustic). Now the original Jagged Little Pill is one of my all time great albums. You know the one with ALL the good songs in it? How many albums have you bought lately that you could honestly say you loved every single track on it?
Not much right? Yep. Same here. I've only enjoyed a handful of albums which had one good track after another. Craig David: Born To Do It, Duncan Sheik's premiere album, Alanis' Jagged Little Pill, Metallica's Black Album...oh and Avril's first album.
So to be given a revised version of Alanis' Jagged was an awesome experience. She re did all the songs from the first track to the last. "Ironic" was redone with a twist at the end, when she changed one of the lines. It was hilarious.
Listening to Jagged, I went back to a time when I saw her live in concert many many moons ago. I was 14 and it was my first concert that my parents had allowed me to go on my own. Imagine the delirium!! I had my first sense of utter freedom.
Unfortunately, when i was at her concert, i had only heard "Ironic" once before, and knew none of her other songs. My friends were all singing along to all her other tunes, and i hummed along with nothing but rubbish coming out of my mouth. Irregardless,I had a fantastic time watching her perform. On the way out I snatched one of her autographed albums and listened to the whole CD on the way home.
Throughout the years, Alanis' musical genius started to fade away. Her music became tiresome, dark and moody. I decided that, while she had the talent to become a musical icon, she didn't have the zest any longer.
That was until she did Jagged Little Pill all over again.
I have so many memories related to Jagged Little Pill. It was an album i used to wake me up in the morning, to hype me up before i had to go on a date or to bring my spirits back up whenever i was down.
Maybe you have your own albums or songs which has a special place in your heart or iTunes. If you do, do yourself a favour...listen to it all over again. You will be pleasantly surprised.
I'll end this blog with a verse from Alanis' revised album, if you guys have the time, give it a listen. It really is that good.
"You are the bearer of unconditional things. You held your breath and the door for me. Thanks for your...patience."
Comments