The Calm Before The Storm.

The wind is crying Mary not a few feet away from where i'm sitting. The gentle 'tap-tapping' of the rain...has changed drastically into a pounding,almost visceral gale storm.

And here I am, sitting in an empty room alone, with nothing but a lonely crimson lamp keeping my sanity in check. In the distance I hear the gentle tapistry of a pianist playing a soulful tune. His fingers caressing the monochromatic instrument as though it was an organic object. Stroking it as you would a pet whom you love so dearly.

I could sit here forever, listening to him play. Note after note...for hours on end.

Some people say that if you calm yourself down at the end of a very long and winding day, by listening to soothing, soulful music, you will definately feel a whole lot better...even if you're stuck in a jam on the Federal Highway.

But I'm not on the Federal am I. I'm in a familiar place. A comfort zone of sorts. My blog used to be my comfort zone. A place where i could just sit down and write for ever. I used to have a quip for everything that goes on in my life. I would write and write until my keyboard sticks itself to the indentation.

Yet, there was always something more to say. I never thought for one moment that i would ever run out of things to say.

I never thought i'd stop playing the guitar or Halo either.

But I did.

So what has become of me? Who am I?

Do i still have engaging conversations over a cold glass of Iced Lemon Tea? Yes and, In some ways (and this is sad to say) No. A friend told me today that all we ever talk about these days are cars and work. Whatever happened to us just talking (as she put it so succintly) Rubbish?
Of dreams and fairy tales of yonder....a way to unglue ourselves from the monotony of our real lives. We used to laugh and make jokes...over nothing. Now at 23, we're so jaded that we only joke about people who makes jokes for a living. "Have you watched this comedian lately?"

I mean....do we really have to entertain ourselves by buying DVDs of stand ups? Don't we have each other? Shit, i really miss you guys. We're all working so hard to achieve something which isn't even on the cards yet, that we've forgotten what it is that makes us truly HAPPY. So what if you made a million today. Do you have anyone you want to honestly share it with? Or someone who could share your happiness instead of backstabbing and bad mouthing you behind your back?

What happened to lounging and lazing around doing nothing else rather than having a cup of warm tea and listening to some relaxing music? We used to have dreams. We used to have illusions of grandeur of building massive mansions next to one another so that we can bug one another on a daily basis. And have a room just for our friends, away from familial ties and commitments.

But in the pursuit of those dreams, we are losing the main ingredient that builds the whole recipe in the first place. We are losing ourselves, and how to enjoy each other's company...in SPITE of their apparent weaknesses or Strengths even.

To my dearest, dearest friends...near and far, we are now the Calm before the Storm. A moment of self discovery...a distancing from one another deliberate or not. Open up your eyes people. We still have a chance to redeem ourselves before the storm engulfes us all. I still remember your names, your laughter, your phone number, your stories....but there's so much more to do and tell. Work for your dreams...but don't let reality slip you by.

Comments

Anonymous said…
bless u. :)
iDAN said…
im bloody at home dude!!....bloody bosan....jom lepaks!!...huwhahwauh
Anonymous said…
I miss those cold winter days, on ur couch, at ur place..just talkin, or listening to u playing guitar,or laughing over cashflow...We didnt have a care in the world, just bunch of us.. Never would i trade it for anythin in the world.. Never edd..

Popular posts from this blog

Monday Blues. :(

You know you live in 2006 when...

The Truth About Boys.