What Happened To Us?

My uncle used to say to me,

“Laughing and Riding a bicycle, two things you never forget how to do.”

I for one, could never ride a bike.

But I always knew how to laugh.

Yet lately, as I’ve taken measure in my life, and as I look around, I mainly see people who still know how to ride a bicycle, but whose next smile is achieved by wondering which clothing boutique is on for sale, or where their next holiday is going to be.

What’s happened here?

Whenever we get a spare minute, we ponder which restaurant we’re going to dine in next. Or when we’re getting that promotion we’ve been waiting for.

Close our eyes, and we dream of that 3 Bedroom Apartment in Hartamas.

What’s happened?

A little over a month ago, I left this world of things. And I went back to some of the fairgrounds. I was trying to remember the people…trying to revive in myself the ability to rejoice in the simple company of others.

Trying to enjoy the smaller, more crucial things in life.

Like family. A home. A place to belong.

Friendship. Love. A warm cup of tea on a cold, stormy night.

I’ve learnt in such a short period of time, how easy it is to appreciate the things you already have around you. It need not be material objects. Inanimate objects rarely bring you the happiness you desire in the long run.

Riding a bike is a given to most of you. You’ve forgotten how hard it was to even get on that bike when you were younger.

Laughter is no different. We’ve learned how to laugh or smile in uncomfortable situations far to often, that sometimes, you have no idea how to laugh from the heart anymore.

When was the last time you laughed or smiled for no reason whatsoever?

If you can’t answer that question, ask yourself another one.
What are we working so hard to achieve?

Happiness?

Whose?

Exactly.

Comments

Anonymous said…
adlin..what happenned?are u ok?
Eddie said…
yeah getting better by the day.

thanks for the concern, appreciate it. :)

Popular posts from this blog

You know you live in 2006 when...

Monday Blues. :(

The Truth About Boys.