Serenity and Sunbeams

It was a chilly Saturday morning. The air was moist, colourful even, and I swear that I could almost taste the morning dew.
I took a long breath, and wished that a gust of wind would blow my way and clear all my troubles.

As i closed my eyes and mentally lifted my body to a better,calmer place, the wind came. And she sang the most beautiful tune I have ever heard. The birds were chirping in harmony, the leaves were flailing about with utter abandon, the sound of cars across the causeway were strangely muted and the world, for just that very moment, took a step back and said,

"Here you go buddy boy, this is what i can do on my good day."

It was as though nature was one big orchestra. And I was there for the rehearsal.

I just stood there, absorbing the whole experience; almost wishing that there was a beach I could've driven to.

But I know that you really can't have everything. So i took up the next best option - Walking across the impossibly green, and undeniably windy golf course.

And I did just that, talking a breezy morning walk through some of the most meticulately maintained artificial grasslands in the world. The grass was so green on the other side of my house (alright housing area) that when i got to the course (at the edge of it, where the cafe is) i just sat on the green, and did absolutely nothing.

It was my moment of silent contemplation. A million miles away from the world of absolute materialism. It didn't matter at that very point in time, what I was wearing, driving, seeing, or how much money i had my pocket. The only thing that fluttered through my mind at the time, was how beautiful the world really is if you opened your eyes and how, when you look at your life from a distance, you truly understand the meaning of materialism - it is both desire and fear. The desire to please your associates and the fear that what you do might be a little too much or never up to par. The desire to own everything in the world, and the fear that someone might find out about your wealth and you use it to lock yourself in your own home, with security guards and rottweilers prowling the compound.

How often do we actually go to the beach, sit there, and do absolutely nothing?

My brother did that once a couple of years ago. I thought he was cookoo. It must've been a good hour before I found him. In the distance, i could see him, with his arm swaying over the wooden railing by the edge of the pier, his shoulders sunk in, his head cocked up.

At the time, i thought he was high on something. When I came to him, I asked him why it took him so long (since i thought all he wanted to do was 'see' the beach) and he turned to me, gave me small smile, and said nothing. Absolutely nothing.

And that's how I was on Saturday. Amidst the Serenity and Sunbeams; there was nothing i could say at that moment in time that would accurately describe my emotions.

It was for all intents and purposes; pure bliss.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You know you live in 2006 when...

Monday Blues. :(

The Truth About Boys.