My name is Jeff Kashiwa, and I'm a musical maestro

Well maybe not. I'm still me. But Kashiwa-san is one amazing performer.

Thanks to a little chap named Chang? Chan? I am now totally hooked on this Japanese jazz artist. His style is so post-modernistic, it brings a chill to my spine everytime i spin track 2 (Voices) on his cd. It's truly the soundtrack for the yuppie generation. Some might argue it's a little too Coffee Bean or Starbucks-y, but honestly that's stereotyping his musical talent(s). And i'm not the only one to think he's got some talent. I have a friend who can attest to it too. Right?

Anyway, for those of you who have known me for extended periods of time, you all know how obssessed i am with music. Yes it is a die hard passion which phases in and out of my life. Sometimes i go cookoo with recording and editing (with friends!), and other periods i'm just not bothered at all with what goes on in the world of music.

It's a Third Place for me. A place outside of home and work. It's a place where my imagination gets to run amok, and my emotions become my paint brushes and the music becomes the canvas for my abstract tapestry.

They say sight and smell creates a bookmark for our memories. A way to recollect some forgotten event. Well, music is the same for me. I'm sure it's the same for all of you too, but music represents more than just memories to me. A soulful tune creates a relative ambience for me. You know the feeling when the sun is shining just that right amount, and the temperature is just where you want it, with the right company and the right venue? Well music does that to me ALL the time. If i get the right tune, every moment becomes THAT moment.

That's what makes Jeff Kashiwa so special. His creative energies bring forth a third space which symbolizes a form of classic elegance. Comfy sofas, soft lighting, marble floors and a really high ceiling with floor to ceiling windows. During sunset. By the beach. With the person/persons you love.

That's why I love music. It's more than just oblique sound sculptures on a piece of paper. It really does make one moment just that little bit more special y'know?

Cheers guys, hope you'll be able to listen to this guy too someday. For now I'm just gonna grab a good book and lay on my front porch while listening to this guy on my iPod.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monday Blues. :(

You know you live in 2006 when...

The Truth About Boys.